Architecture walking route:
Follow the red line and start your walk at the a. Ruïnekerk church ruins. In 1574, the church was plundered and set on fire by Diederick van Sonoy, leaving it in ruins. b. Russian Monument, erected in 1901 to commemorate the Battle of Bergen (1799). c. (arch; Jo Coenen). Renovating architecture, with its barrel vaulting, inspired by Louis Kahn. d. (arch: Moost,). The use of wood results in a specific appearance, the so-called classic form. e. nr.8 (arch: R. de Vries). A house with a strong cubist form, and glass with no door or window casings. f. nr.77 (arch. Hertel and Boskamp). Admire the familiar round roof, asymmetrical windows and the overhanging dormer window. g. nr.71 (own management). Modern building in classic style. h. nr.27 (arch: R. Cijffers). ‘The New Build’. Notice the steel door and window casings! i. nr.22-44 (arch: Inbo). Observe the beautiful details in the stonework. j. nr.2 (arch: Monk). This building is characterized by a curved thatched roof. k. nr.8 (arch. A. Reus). Modern building, built in the style of Berlage. Look at the symmetry in the façade, the sandstone elements and the typical side wall. l. Tekst Kranenburgh
m. nr.2 (arch: J.B. van Lochem), ‘The Heron’s Tower’ from the ‘Amsterdam School’. An interesting detail is that from the tower the owner practised his hobby of astronomy and observed herons’ nests. n. nr.30 (arch; Peer Bedaux). Modern house in reserved classic traditional style. o. nr.46 arch: T. Asselbergs). Modernist building with trendy light brick and wood.p. nr.39 (arch; S. Soeters). Personal variant of the ‘Amsterdam School’, low-hanging interrupted thatched roof and garden with round lines. q. nr.18 (arch: S. Soeters). Notice the use of colours and the width of the wooden façade panels. r. nr.9 (arch: Min2). Trefoils have been added to the original house. s. In park Meerwijk, the villas De Ark , De Bark, Bilbad, Elifaz, Zofar, Meezennest, Beukenhoek, Meerhuis, Meerhoek (de Ster), double villas VIII, IX, Tamelone, Mevene and Rogier are located. The wooden door and window casings and brick façades represent the style which was referred to as the ‘Amsterdam School’ from 1916. t. nr.30 (arch: M. Cijffers). ‘The New Build’, the stairwell contains a stained glass window by Mathieu Wiegman. You are now back again at the a. Ruïnekerk, where the walk also ends.